Sunday, January 29, 2006

Last night I was with a colleague and his wife. It was very interesting learning their perspective of Americans. For one thing, they assume we all have affairs and don’t stay married. His parents were celebrating their 27th anniversary, and asked ‘does that happen in America’. I mentioned my parents have been married almost 40 years, and he seemed very surprised. His wife was also very surprised that I missed my wife back home, and said the impression there was Americans were not very romantic and didn’t really love one another. It was kind of depressing that this was the image we projected.

I also had to explain that she could not wear jewelry like that in certain parts of the US. She thought I was joking, but her husband explained I was serious. It did then dawn on me, you saw lots of women walking around with a lot of jewelry on and there seemed to be no concern of theft. Crime just didn’t seem to be that persistent, or at least not in the way we think of it. Guess it would be hard to do a back ally mugging when the back ally probably has about 200 people in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home